About the Garrett family

My photo
Longmont, Colorado, United States
Matt and Aimee have been married for 9 years now. We have 5 daughters between the two of us. Three who are still living at home. Jasmine is 17, in her junior year of high school. Haley is 14 in her freshman year of high school. Anya is 18 in her junior year of high school. Anya was adopted from Ukraine in 2008. Taylor 18 is a senior in high School living in Thornton, Heather 20 Married living with husband Chad and thier baby Ezrah, he was born in Feb 2011. We are in process of adopting siblings Oksana 13, and Vladik 10 whom we met on a hosting program this past summer.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

CAPTAIN VOICE-OVER!

I literally thought I was going to have to push him out of the way!!! I'm not sure if it's simply a culture thing that I'm not quite understanding, but when we are clearly standing in line at the bank to exchange money and this guy a little bigger than me picked up on the English Aimee & I were exchanging, he simply stepped right in front of us. Him & I exchanged that glance that all guys know...I turned sideways, said, "Eezvenetyeh, pazhalsta!!"-& I was reestablished. Even though I had to endure 10 more minutes of heavy sighs, death stares, etc., it was completely worth it. USA=1; Pushy Ukrainian=0. Jack-A...!
Yesterday we rode the metro for the 1st time. WOW! That was cool, especially the escalators that go at the speed of light Way, WAy, WAY down. At the bottom where the steps disappear there are still shreds of clothing and shopping bags where people had to decide to get off safely before it dragged them under or abandon certain items they could do without-it's a snap decision. When you're ready to exit the train you better be at the door because everyone else makes their way right up to it before it opens. Everyone seemed perfectly capable of standing solo with nothing to hang on to & not lose their balance. Aimee didn't realize how fast it took off the first time and did a brand new dance that involved a 1/2 bent over stance and a head long charge at the end of the train. Only my cat-like reflexes saved her from firmly implanting herself into the back side of the a car. Being an international hero is exhausting!
Our SDA appointment resembled a group-hug more than a life-changing meeting. Got the referral; found out the real story about the orphanage placement, time, timing, etc. It has become obvious that Oksana took very liberal editorial and artistic rights to tell her version-SHOCKING! OUTRAGEOUS! We were absolutely stunned that we didn't have accurate information from a 13 year old female orphan or the system in general. We spent 10's of seconds in shock. Leaving for Izmail tonight about 10PM.
We were told to be at the SDA to pick up our referral between 4PM & 5PM. We showed up at 435PM. After we walked out the door, paper work was a gathered up, put in a pile, carried out and the door was locked! Glad we didn't show up at 445PM. I had made a last-second decision to go straight to the SDA instead of heading back to the apartment to put away our lap-tops; it would have taken an extra 10-15 minutes. Hmmmm....thanks, God.
We also went to the CBN offices yesterday. That was not only fun, but good to see all the people doing all this work to advance God's agenda in many ways. I got asked to be the "voice-over" for a professionally produced production for a short documentary/ad for a group soliciting for workers as missionaries in Asia. Despite my best efforts, it took several takes, stops, do-overs, etc. Thank god they were patient. Karen Springs had to rush in to the sound booth during one part and yank the gun out of the sound directors hands as she aimed it at me through the window-thanks, Karen. There was another attempt on my life shortly after as I put on the headphones, got close to the microphone and belted out my rendition of, "We Are The World...". I do a great Michael Jackson/Stevie Wonder/Cher compilation, at least it sounds good in the cab of my UPS truck.
It has NOT stopped snowing here for three days. Nothing says, "Winter Storm Warning", like Ukrainian women in stiletto's RUNNING on ice-rink type sidewalks. Really, how do you do that?
Once again, last night, Oksana made it very clear that she refuses to be adopted. Then 30 minutes later sends Aimee/mom (depending on whether or not she's coming the the US), a text message to call her, which Aimee/mom does and has a very positive conversation with her. If you don't like the weather in Colorado; wait an hour. If you don't like the attitude of a teen-age girl; wait, well, 15 seconds.
We went to the Chernobyl Museum today. I left almost in tears, well, there were tears. What an absolute national disaster that clearly left its mark in too many ways to count. Some things just tear me up. Senseless loss or waste of life is one of them.
About 1/2 way through, "Red Letters", the book & almost positive I hate it, no, I do. Todays lesson: based on Jesus' example, we are NOT to conduct a, "cost/benefit analysis" to determine who we are to have compassion on...I really HATE that!
Without a doubt, the highlight of this entire trip so far as been successfully using a, "Buy One-Get One Free" coupon at a internet cafe-hold your applause and admiration. I'll be doing a coupon signing when I return!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Matt & Aimee - Thank you for taking our paperwork to Valentin! I'm so glad things are going well for you so far - we look forward to our trip to Ukraine soon!

    By the way Matt - I had similiar experiences over and over again in Ukraine when we were there! People constantly were getting in line in front of me! I finally gave someone the "I don't think so" look and they let me "keep" my place in line! Ha!!! It is definitely a different culture and a different way of thinking there!

    We can't wait to go get our 2nd girl! Love Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to be our women's heros, isn't it! Glad you got to see Karen, Steve Weber (great guy) and the CBN HQs. I did a video for AGAPE in Kherson back in 2008, so I too, am a Ukie celebrity! :-)

    Hurry back home! Colorado doesn't feel the same without you two!

    Felix

    ReplyDelete