About the Garrett family

My photo
Longmont, Colorado, United States
Matt and Aimee have been married for 9 years now. We have 5 daughters between the two of us. Three who are still living at home. Jasmine is 17, in her junior year of high school. Haley is 14 in her freshman year of high school. Anya is 18 in her junior year of high school. Anya was adopted from Ukraine in 2008. Taylor 18 is a senior in high School living in Thornton, Heather 20 Married living with husband Chad and thier baby Ezrah, he was born in Feb 2011. We are in process of adopting siblings Oksana 13, and Vladik 10 whom we met on a hosting program this past summer.

Thursday, March 31, 2011

What are the chances?

I'm NOT kidding! We are siting in the McDonald's across the street from the train station in Odessa. We've been here for about 2 hours. With no warning, no information or anything else...in walks the birth mom for Oksana and Vlad. Literally, as I sit here, she is sitting across the table from me talking mostly with Oksana-VERY STRANGE! I have a lot to say about this, but not right now. I mean..........REALLY? Oh, & now, I get to buy her dinner here. Seriously, they are standing in line ordering. Am I even really here right now? What the hell........so, if you have ever doubted that God isn't real, or doesn't like to screw with your head and present you with odd situations just to see how you will react, well, think again.

6 comments:

  1. Hmnn, wow! Don't know how I'd handle that. Rimma's mom was deceased and the rest of our kids wanted no part of seeing the person(s) who abandoned them. You're a good man, Matt!

    Felix

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow you are a great man.. did she know you were there or did she just happen to be coming there..


    shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had nightmares about this happening to us. We are adopting from a relatively small town. We know the bio mom lives in this town, had her rights terminate years ago and has never tried to get her back. Everyone has said "Oh that will never happen" "you won't run into her". HA!!
    I think I would have fainted!! You are a good man!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To all: Oksana had called her earlier in the day but had no idea we would be going to this McDonald's at this time. When she called her, we had no plans or agenda as all the running around had been completed. I think she knew we were leaving on a train to Kyiv and apparently searched for us in that area for three hours and finally determined that as an American, I would go to a familiar, comfortable place...McDonald's, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is CRAZY! Wow! Did you meet her while you were coming to the orphanage every day?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Natahsa-Had never seen her until this moment. We're still trying to figure out how she found us. I'm glad she did. She had not seen the kids in more than three years. The time was good. She was very supportive of the adoption and definitely wanted them out of Ukraine. She was relieved. I saw your comment on the other blog post. I do post the way I do, only because it's very therapeutic to say exactly what's going on in my head and heart. This process is WAY to romanticized, international adoption. It's HARD and causes all kinds of emotional reactions. I read a lot of platitudes in other places. I get tired of them.

    ReplyDelete