About the Garrett family

My photo
Longmont, Colorado, United States
Matt and Aimee have been married for 9 years now. We have 5 daughters between the two of us. Three who are still living at home. Jasmine is 17, in her junior year of high school. Haley is 14 in her freshman year of high school. Anya is 18 in her junior year of high school. Anya was adopted from Ukraine in 2008. Taylor 18 is a senior in high School living in Thornton, Heather 20 Married living with husband Chad and thier baby Ezrah, he was born in Feb 2011. We are in process of adopting siblings Oksana 13, and Vladik 10 whom we met on a hosting program this past summer.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Getting ready to travel...

Matt & I will be flying out on January 24th. Our SDA appointment is scheduled for January 27th at 10am. Adopting again and returning to Ukraine is something I had never imagined I would do. I have mixed emotions as the date gets closer. I am of course excited to see Oksana and Vlad again after 5 months of being apart. I am also very afraid of Ukraine. I have been there so therefore I know what to fear, such as people who don't smile, never knowing why these same people seem to be yelling at me just because they know I do not understand a word of it, heavy bathroom stall doors with no windows that don't open from the inside, never knowing what I will receive when I order food or what surprise I will find in the middle of my bread, the list goes on and on for me. I have to stop listing these fears as I feel PTSD setting in. Matt see things very different, Imagine that! He has been there so therefore he knows what to expect. He is not going to allow Ukraine to take him by surprise not this time. This time around he will not wait until week four to wad up his money and throw it at the taxi driver, or begin pushing his way to the front of the line, he won't tolerate any assistant orphanage director demanding he buy reams of paper, boxes of fruit, chocolates, or champagne. This time he will introduce himself as an "American Man", not that former "American Women who speaks very little Russian" he is ready and going into this angry disgruntle adopting American from day one! So yes we are different, we see things different, feel things different, and this is good. Thank God for his plan to make us different. We fit together well, just as God knew we would. Stay tuned all you Ukrainian adoptive blogger fans, Matt will be online soon, and the old battle of the sexes will follow soon, I am sure of it.

7 comments:

  1. Don't forget to bring your cell phone if you use the bathroom in McDonalds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We, too know what it's like to be returning and the mixed emotions that brings. Keep Scripture close at hand! We will be praying for your journey.

    Richard and Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, can I just hire a "Surogate Felix" to do all the work after we get there? Oh well, third times a charm they say. I certainly hope so!

    Felix

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHO HOO! Praise GOD for opportunities that we can celebrate our differences and yet join together in a phenominal calling to do His work! We love you both dearly and are so very excited for you guys!

    Clarke and Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are posting. I can't wait to follow. And please include prayer requests. Its the only way we can help from such a great distance. Can you post on facebook too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Burt and Robin love you both very much and will be praying for you and your family daily, we will also be praying for safety, positive experiences and for this opportunity to draw Matt and you closer together, as well as staying closer to God. Seek him and his light in every experience. Love at at all times. Ephesians 3:20-21 Now all glory to God, who is able, through his might power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy for you and know you are following where He leads...just remember, be still and know that He is God. If yall will be coming through Frankfurt at all let me know as we would love to see you!

    ReplyDelete